Don’t smoke Smoking increases the risk of macular degeneration
Dark leafy greens Kale, spinach, collard greens, turnip greens. Add these to your diet to help protect your eyes.
AREDS2 eye vitamins Can be purchased over the counter, take twice daily by mouth. Recommended brands: PreserVision AREDS 2, I -Caps AREDS 2, Pro-Optic AREDS 2, Viteyes AREDS 2 Classic
Amsler grid Place this grid somewhere convenient to check your vision daily. Check one eye at a time while looking at the dot in the center of the grid. If you notice changes like wavy lines or new blurry, dark, or missing areas, you should be seen for an eye exam as soon as possible.
Testing your eyes with an Amsler grid is easy and takes only a few minutes. Here are the basic steps:
- Test your eyes under normal room lighting used for reading.
- Wear eyeglasses you normally wear for reading (even if you wear only store-bought reading glasses).
- Hold the Amsler grid approximately 14 to 16 inches from your eyes.
- Test each eye separately: Cup your hand over one eye while testing the other eye.
- Keep your eye focused on the dot in the center of the grid and answer these questions:
• Do any of the lines in the grid appear wavy, blurred or distorted?
• Do all the boxes in the grid look square and the same size?
• Are there any “holes” (missing areas) or dark areas in the grid?
• Can you see all corners and sides of the grid (while keeping your eye on the central dot)?
- Switch to the other eye and repeat.
- If there are any abnormalities, let us know as soon as possible.